Monday, November 8, 2010

"Maeve's 2nd Birthday Cake" - 11/10

For my daughter's 1st birthday, she received a toy from her Grandma and Grandpa by Leap Frog called "My Pal Violet", which is this little stuffed puppy that plays music, knows her name and plays games.  Ever since then, she has absolutely adored her puppy Violet.  So this year, I made her a cake to look like Violet.  Although I didn't get it exact, it looked like a close relative;) LOL  I had a hard time getting the right proportions and exact same colors of her puppy and also getting the arms to stay on.  The arms and legs were rice crispy treats and the arms ended up being to heavy to stay on the side of the cake so I had to prop them up with dowels.  I figured it was better than having no arms at all! 

The (strawberry) cake is made from a 6" ball cake for the head and a half ball and 6" round, double layer cake for the body.  It is covered in buttercream using the brush embroidery technique and the features are fondant.  The birthday hat is paper with a buttercream border which I think really finished it off and says "Birthday cake!"  Overall, I was pleased with how it turned out knowing that it made my baby girl happy:)




No comments:

Post a Comment